Institutions Attended

Q: Which colleges and universities do I need to list on my application?

A: The Institutions Attended section is a required part of your OTCAS application. Use this section to enter ALL of the undergraduate, graduate, professional, and foreign institutions you have attended or plan to attend. List all institutions regardless of whether course credit transferred to another college or university or if college courses were taken during high school for advanced placement credit. Be sure to include non-degree programs (e.g., summer school) and foreign institutions attended. OTCAS requires a separate official transcript from all accredited U.S. institutions attended, including University Extensions.

Q: If I attended a school for multiple degrees, or if there were gaps in my attendance at a university/college, should I list it more than once?

A: NO. You should enter each institution only once, regardless of the number of degrees earned or any gaps in the dates of attendance. When entering the listing for this institution, you should adjust the date fields to encompass the entire time span during which you were at that school. For example, if you attended a particular school from 1997–1999 and then from 2002–2004, list the dates attended from 1997 to 2004. Duplicate college/university entries may delay the processing of your application.

Q: What if a college or university that I have attended is not in the OTCAS college code list?

A: The college code list available on the OTCAS web application contains programs recognized by the Regional Accrediting Boards throughout the country. Check to see whether the Institution has undergone a name change recently and ensure that the school is not on the list under a prior or alternate name. Institutions that do not appear on the list will be investigated by OTCAS on a case-by-case basis.

If the school is not on the list, select the ’000000 – Not Listed US Institution’ code on the OTCAS school list. Please be absolutely sure that the institution is not listed in the list of U.S. programs. All “000000 – Not Listed US Institutions” entries will be investigated by OTCAS staff and your application will be returned to you for editing if an institution is listed by name but you entered it as “000000 – Not Listed.”

Q: Do I list the Overseas U.S. Institution that I attended?

A: Yes. An Overseas U.S. Institution is defined as a regionally-accredited institution outside of the U.S. that admits American students and teaches courses in English. If you attended an Overseas U.S. Institution, you must report this school on your Colleges and Universities page and select the appropriate college found under the Overseas US Institutions link within the “Name of College or University” field when entering your previously attended colleges. If the institution is not listed, contact OTCAS by e-mail at

Q: How do I determine my Primary Institution?

A: Your primary institution is the college or university where you will earn (or have earned) your first bachelor’s (undergraduate) degree. If no degree is planned, select the institution where you completed the majority of your undergraduate courses.

Q: Where do I send my transcripts?

A: Have official transcripts sent from the registrar directly to OTCAS.

Transcript Department
P.O. Box 9120
Watertown, MA 02471

OTCAS cannot guarantee the receipt of any mailed items, regardless of the method of delivery.